[MacDV] Re: Buying a New Drive

ShirleyK ShirleyKat at cox.net
Thu Apr 17 19:19:03 PDT 2003

But watch out for any fine print in their descriptions. I bought an
enclosure for a 2.5-inch drive. It was supposed to be a portable
enclosure that was powered from the FireWire bus. The light came on and
the drive powered up but the drive never appeared on the desktop. I
tried it on several systems. They are giving me a hard time about
taking it back. They want me to buy an external power brick, which
completely defeats my purpose, or else upgrade to a more expensive
unit. There was a fine print asterisk that some drives might require an
external power source.

I'm still not convinced that additional power would make it appear on
the desktop because the drive is spinning. I think it's a poorly
implemented FireWire bridge or else they are testing in OS 9 and
ignoring my OS X environment. They have a 15% restocking fee that I'll
probably have to pay because of that asterisk. The enclosure was not
expensive ($50) so it's not that I'm going to be out a lot of money or
anything. But because of they way they have given me such a hard time
about this for the last month, they have lost a customer. I would not
trust to spend any significant amount of money with them now.

Shirley