[MacDV] Re: asf files

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Thu Apr 17 21:36:41 PDT 2003

On Thursday, April 17, 2003, at 08:34  PM, Peter Payne wrote:

> I, too, am bummed by Apple's support of MP4 without actual support
> (via Quicktime) of the ASF file format, which is the ONLY MP4 movie
> format I've seen. All those handy MP4 movie recording devices from
> Japan (where I live) use this format, but since Quicktime can't speak
> ASF that means no importing into iMovie, no viewing in my viewer of
> choice, etc.
>
> HELLO?? APPLE???

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but shouldn't that be "HELLO?? MICROSOFT???"

AFAIK, asf is a propriatary MS format and I don't know how agreeable MS
is about licensing it to "competitors" like Apple.

Put another way, there's nothing Apple, or anyone else, can do unless
MS is willing to open up their format.

-Mike