[MacDV] Re: Buying a New Drive

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Mon Apr 21 07:07:50 PDT 2003

On Friday, April 18, 2003, at 07:54  PM, ShirleyK wrote:

> I would have preferred to do that with my 160 GB FW drive too, but
> Disk Utility didn't recognize the disk. So you haven't run into that
> yet?

Not yet <knocks on wood>.

Is it possible there's a 3rd party Firewire driver that's been
installed on your system?

The reason I ask is that I've had bad experiences with installing
drivers that came with 3rd party drives. I'll admit this was with SCSI
drivers of old, but the directions that came with drives always urged
you to install the software that came with the drive (drive utilities
etc.). Doing this sometimes caused the 'new" software to take over all
drives, which in most cases was simply annoying, but in others a
complete disaster.

That's another one of the reasons I tend to toss the software that
comes with drives into a drawer and reformat (and partition) with Disk
Utility.

Other than that, I'm at a loss as to why Disk Utility couldn't
recognize the disk.

-Mike