[MacDV] Re: Transferring .mov files from mac to pc

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Tue Apr 22 06:30:41 PDT 2003

On Monday, April 21, 2003, at 06:19  PM, Mark M. Florida wrote:

> But why make things more complicated than they already are?  If you're
> running Mac OS X, just turn on Windows file sharing and network the
> two with
> an ethernet crossover cable...

I'd go with Mark on this one. Keep it as simple as possible. Yes
Firewire might be faster, but unless you're transferring GB's of data
or are really in a rush ethernet should suffice.

> Just trying to make everyone really think about this a bit...

I usually try to start with the cheapest/easiest method and see if it
suffices. As I mentioned earlier, it may be that even a "normal"
ethernet cable would work and either way (crossover cable or regular)
its a cheap, simple way to go. Even if you eventually decide you
require something faster (Firewire), IMO its always good to have that
cheap/easy ethernet option right there as a backup.

Just some more food for thought...

Setting up the ethernet network should essentially be a one-time deal.
Once its in place it seems to me that a simple ethernet transfer may be
faster than burning a CD, especially if you're using the method built
into Finder which essentially requires copying everything to a disk
image before it even starts burning the CD (you end up having to do a
copy to disk image, burn, then copy to hard drive of other computer).

-Mike