[MacDV] Re: A-D conversion in DV camcorder... any good?

Scott Baldwin sbaldwin at san.rr.com
Sat Apr 26 10:39:40 PDT 2003

Sean and Terry,

The audio converters on the Sony are probably not much different than
the converters on the Mac. Compared to a good stand alone converter,
both will be inferior,  but not necessarily bad.  It is impossible to
"quantify"  the difference in quality.  In the audio world the
difference in converters is subjectively determined through listening
tests, not scientific analysis, just as the difference in video
converters is done.  However the difference in quality between 16 bit
(the Mac and Sony) and 24 bit (most current pro converters) is usually
considered obvious.

My suggestion is to try each method with the same material, and see if
you prefer one over the other. Try a couple of different songs, but
something soft and quiet will give you a better idea as to the
difference in quality than something loud.  I suspect you will not find
too much difference.

Personally I think staying with the Mac's converters going into Peak is
a better method.  Peak is designed to handle only audio, and you may
actually want to do a little audio editing once you have digitized it.
(ie Normalization or noise removal)

If you were to consider an external audio converter, in my opinion( I
am an audio professional) the inexpensive consumer USB converters are
no better than the Mac's.

If you don't already own Peak, a good software choice is Montage.
(http://www.arboretum.com)  This is an excellent video program,
(everything you wish imovie was) but it has good audio editing
capabilities as well.  You can use the Ray Gun plugin with this
software.  Ray Gun is a plugin that is specifically designed to clean
up vinyl recordings.

Good luck,

Scott