[MacDV] Re: MAC OS X Panther?

Matthew Guemple mo.og at verizon.net
Sat Apr 26 15:53:37 PDT 2003

I like the next best thing as well, I just don't want to be out a bunch
of cash.
Would it require a software upgrade as well... ie months of waiting or
working around while software catches up? Or will the old stuff run
(and like the altivec thing) just require a patch to make use of the
64bit aspect? Or do we know that yet?

On Saturday, April 26, 2003, at 06:38 PM, Thubten Kunga wrote:

> Hey Matt,
> You can stay in Jaguar for the rest of your life if you like. I like
> to keep moving up the newest food chain when it comes to the OS. But
> as far as hardware goes, I've been on a 500 MHz Cube for the past 2
> years and I'm just graduating to the dual 867 now — and then only for
> heavy duty work.
>
> But the IBM-970 Macs (I guess you could say they are G5, although they
> are not coming from Motorola) are going to be radically faster than
> what we've had to date due to their 64-bit wide pipe (twice as wide as
> now) and 900 MHz frontside bus (seven times as fast as now). So that
> puts more pressure on our wannabe glands to make the leap sooner than
> later. But that's just my opinion of pent up desire for much faster
> Macs. That may not be the case for many Mac owners including yourself.
> ; ^ )

> On Saturday, April 26, 2003, at 09:59  AM, Matthew Guemple wrote:
>
>> Ok this freaks me out... is the "970" essentially the G5? Meaning I
>> will have to plunk a bunch of money down for a new machine and
>> software upgrades?
>>
>> After all the hassle I've gone through in the past 6 months getting
>> my machine nicely settled into 10.2, PLEASE don't tell me it's all
>> for nought.
>>
>> grrrr....
>>
>> On Saturday, April 26, 2003, at 04:50 AM, Thubten Kunga wrote:
>>
>>> September. 64-bit bandwidth for IBM 970 Macs. iLife updates are
>>> likely, but not necessarily at the time Panther ships. A lot will be
>>> revealed during the Jobs keynote at the Worldwide Developer's
>>> Conference in San Francisco late June. There's a small chance
>>> Panther will be ready by August. But history says we'll be lucky to
>>> get it and the 970 Macs it runs on by Seybold SF in September.

> ----------
> digest version.

> $879!

Matthew Guemple
Art Director/03
mo.og at verizon.net
646.734.6601
www.gridd.com
http://www.creativehotlist.com/
index.asp?linkTarget=fullProfile.asp&indID=19599