[MacDV] Re: iTunes 4 & The iTunes Music Store

Alan Cawson alan_cawson at illustraresearch.com
Mon Apr 28 16:50:47 PDT 2003

on 4/28/03 1:59 PM, Chris Searles at csearles at t-online.de wrote:

>> Just dawned on me when reading this: Could this form of distribution
>> also be in the best interests of the music industry as far as their
>> own marketing and distribution goes, i.e. no CDs to produce and
>> distribute to dealers and still able to make a handsome profit?

And Illovox Media wrote

>absolutely

It's interesting that it is Apple who have pioneered a reasonable
economic model of online music distribution when the record companies
have knee-jerked against Napster et al.  It's rather like the late 1970s
when the video industry took Sony to court in the US because of the
"piracy" involved in recording TV to VCR.  Little did they know that the
sell-through market for video would overtake the cinema box office.  It
is surely likely to be the same with music - most people would prefer to
be legal if the price is right.  99c may be right or not - but well done
Apple for testing the market at sensible price levels.

Alan