[MacDV] Re: Screwed up Acrobat... Wants to Launch Classic-Help Please

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Wed Apr 30 13:18:58 PDT 2003

Two separate problems here:

Rod:

All you should need to do in the OS X Finder is "Get Info" on one of the
affected PDF files, click down the "Open with:" triangle, and choose the Mac
OS X version of Acrobat Reader.  If you want this to stick to all files like
this, click the "Change All..." button.  Don't forget to close the "Get
Info" window when you're done.  If you want these to open with the Mac OS X
app "Preview", then just substitute that for the "Open with" app, rather
than Acrobat Reader.

Matthew:

1.  Distiller is part of Acrobat, not the free, read-only Acrobat Reader
application (soon to be known as Adobe Reader to help avoid this kind of
confusion)

2.  Distiller is *not* OS X native.  To make a PDF with Acrobat from OS X, I
think the "workaround" you described is actually the way you *have* to do it
if you want to use Distiller.  And Distiller launches in Classic mode to do
the conversion.  Acrobat 6 should have an OS X native version of Distiller
on board, whenever that comes out.

I've found a great utility that is OS X native and is integrated right into
the Print dialog that makes PDF files comparable to those produced by
Acrobat Distiller -- it's called "PStill" and it's made by Stone Design, who
were making OS X apps before it was called OS X. (remember NeXT?)  I believe
I even found out about it from someone on this here list.  I've used it a
few times, and it's pretty cool -- works great!  Here's the URL:

http://www.stone.com/PStill/PStill.html

So check that out.

2 cents.

- Mark