Problems with a dead (?) photosite--or something

Puget Sound Cinema Society pscinema at scn.org
Thu Aug 14 14:47:43 PDT 2003

Hey there, it's newbie time!

I just shot about six hours of footage on my Sharp Viewcam. It looks
fine on the viewfinder, but when I hook it up to a larger monitor,
there seems to be one very annoying dead pixel about one-quarter
distant from the top, and one-third distant from the left side of the
screen. No matter what moves across that pixel, it does not change
color information or anything else, so I can only conclude it's dead.
Or is it possible that there is a microscopic particle of dust right
there on the record head?

I've checked tapes made on four other cameras, all of which play just
fine (no dead spot). The dead spot is only apparent on the tapes I
recorded myself with the Sharp.

Which leads me to two questions?

1) Is there any way to correct this nuisance in Final Cut Pro, or am I
doomed to have a speck in all my export files?

2) Could it be anything other than a dead pixel (or photosite)? A dead
photosite would read as black, wouldn't it?

I appreciate your help, if you can. Thank you very, very much. This is
frustrating.

Omar Willey