[MacDV] Re: Wedding video editing

Erica Sadun erica at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 25 10:22:43 PDT 2003

>On 8/25/03 11:22 AM, "David Crump" <davecrump at mac.com> wrote:
>
>>  I'm assuming that it is going to be a pain getting the clips in
>>sync.  Perhaps
>>  it is unrealistic to try to use the seperate audio source.  Is any of this
>>  possible in iMovie 2, or am I setting my sights too high?
>
>You've hit the nail on the head. I have similar two camera footage of my
>son's band, and it's excruciating trying to synch up the handheld
>camcorder's footage with the tripod-mounted camera's audio.

When in doubt...cheat.

Yes, FCP/E makes it easier, but you can use a variety
of tricks to do it in iMovie 2.

Bilabial stops make particularly good cut points.

I tend to open the sound tracks in a sound editor,
match the wave forms, determine the samples and calculate
the minutes/seconds/frames for my cuts.

You can also use alternate shots to make it look as
if someone's *listening* during the ceremony even if
the shot is shown out-of-sequence.

-- Erica