[MacDV] Re: Formatting my hard drive

Peter van der Linden pvdl at afu.com
Wed Dec 3 06:33:49 PST 2003

On Dec 3, 2003, at 5:48 AM, Mark M. Florida wrote:

> For any kind of media work which involves CONSTANT writing, deleting,
> rewriting to a disk, a dedicated disk or partition will make
> everything run SOOO much smoother as time goes on

What does "smoother" mean in this context?   What is the advantage that
you think a separate partition will bring today when there is much disk
activity?  I grant you might be thinking of disadvantages of MacOS HFS,
rather than the HFS+ (aka "extended format") that is used since MacOS
8.1.   The activity is all on the same physical platter remember, no
matter how many partitions you have.

RAID-1 has no negative impact on performance (writes are in parallel to
separate drives), and makes your data highly available.

The advantage of a journalled file system is fast recovery in the event
of a crash.

 > About organization -- what's wrong with that?  If it helps you work
better, then do it.

Sure, but don't think you're getting something extra out of it.
Multiple partitions add nothing to the system originally described,

     Peter