[MacDV] MiniDV vs Digital-8

Selander Timothy selander at tkf.att.ne.jp
Sat Dec 20 13:25:13 PST 2003

> I did some looking around, and this is from Sony's website describing
> their Digital-8 Cameras: "Digital8 Format 500 lines of horizontal
> resolution" They don't list resolution of their MiniDV cameras, but I
> thought MiniDV resolution was greater than that (although probably not a
> large enough difference for the average eye to see on a regular sized
> television).  I'm sure resolution must be standard with all MiniDV and
> someone here probably knows what it is off the top of their head (not me).
> Wouldn't that just be the vertical pixel count? (i.e. If I set my monitor
> to 800x600 I will have 600 lines of horizontal resolution?)

This is a very common misunderstanding, as the same word (resolution)
has become jargon in two industries, having different meanings in each.
In computers, resolution is as you've stated: and 800x600 pixel count
defines the monitor's 'resolution' -- how many verical and horizontal
pixels.

In video, lines of resolution means something else entirely. On a
standard test chart, there is a pattern of straight lines fanned out on
one end. The lines run down together to a point; naturally the gap
between the lines narrows as you reach the point. The 'resolution' of
the video is tested by seeing how far long the line towards the point
you can still distinguish between the black lines and white gaps between
before it all mushes (highly tecnical term) together.

The DV and Digital8 format can record and playback video showing about
460 'lines of resolution' (500 is marketing hype, I suppose). That means
you can still tell the black lines from the white with 460 lines on the
screen.

However, this is the format's playback capabilities. There are
professional DV cameras used in broadcast that can create pictures at
700 lines of resolution, but a lot of that is lost when recorded to DV
tape and its 460 line limit. The format can't keep up with the camera.
Conversely, you can get a crummy consumer camera, smudge it's lens with
a fingerprint, and get a picture that has only 250 lines of resolution
-- even though it is recording to DV or Digital8. The camera can't keep
up with the format.

Check out this link for test chart samples (near bottom of the web page)
http://www.cctvlabs.com/TestChart/testchart.html

And check out this site for excellent DV related info:
http://www.adamwilt.com/DV-FAQ-tech.html

Good luck,

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan