[MacDV] imovie storage

Juan Mariscal juanm at mac.com
Tue Dec 30 18:38:12 PST 2003

Norm:

My suggestion is to get an external hard drive.

Internal hard drives right now cost less than $1/ per Gigabyte.

Check Staples, Office Max or CompUSA for deals. Get a, as a minimum, at
7200 rpm, 8mb cache IDE hard drive. You should be able to install this
pretty quickly in your G$ tower. I forget when the next open forum is
but someone could do it for you if you want. It is very simple to do.
Don't worry about drivers, it will work. the trickiest part (IF you
have to do this) is to get the master/slave relationship between the
two done correctly the first time.

Alternatively, you can do what I have done and that is buy an internal
drive and put it in an external case.

go to http://www.compgeeks.com/specials.asp?cat=MAC
and check out the external cases there. I managed to find one
(firewire) that accommodated two hard drives (for about $55). To
install those hard drives took about 15 minutes. To connect it to the
Mac took about 2 seconds. I did this since I am constantly connecting
these externals to different computers that don't have the ability to
add another hard drive (iMac and powerbooks).

to check for deals, go to http://www.dealmac.com or
http://www.dealsontheweb.com

there should be a number of HD available at very good prices both
before and after rebates.

I would get at least 120G and devote it entirely to video and NOTHING
else. Once you are done with a video project download the video files
on to one or more DVDs (4.7G/DVD) for safe keeping. When you off load a
file delete it from the hard drive and then run some utility on the
hard drive to remove any fragmentation of the hard drive to keep it
moving quickly.

good luck

Juan