[MacDV] Re: imovie storage

Daniel Beck danielbeck at mac.com
Tue Dec 30 19:30:45 PST 2003

On Dec 31, 2003, at 12:14 PM, James Asherman wrote:

> On Tuesday, December 30, 2003, at 09:20  PM, Daniel Beck wrote:

>> My suggestion would be to consider getting Final Cut. Then you won't
>> need to store all those media files. You would have have your project
>> files and would be able to re-capture whatever media you need off
>> your original tapes. Sure Final Cut costs much, but so do hard disks.
>> And with books by Michael Rubin, it's not nearly as hard to learn as
>> you might think.

> too much precious time and tape drive thrashing.
> My solution?
>  80 gig cuda  boot drive. 40 gigs sitting open.
>  80 gig capture drive. Cleaned after every job. also a cuda
> 80 gig storage drive on second bus under DVD drive for deep storage.

You must not do as much editing as I do then. It doesn't take so much
time nor tape thrashing, because how often do you go back and edit a
finished product? The disk space you save is more than worth it. And
when you do need to edit a finished project, you can have Final Cut do
the capturing while you're sleeping or watching TV or just away from
the computer.

Of course, this depends on your needs.

Daniel