[MacDV] Re: The 20inch LCD Conspiracy

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Sat Feb 1 08:35:50 PST 2003

On Saturday, February 1, 2003, at 01:47 AM, Mark M. Florida wrote:

> . . . My point is that, in my opinion, Apple wasted so much time
> making the GUI look "gooey" (pardon the stupid pun) that they should
> have spent on getting the OS a little more optimized.  Here we are 4
> years after the release of the first OS called "X" (that's "ten", you
> know), and it's still super bloated, buggy, slow, etc.  . . .

OS X is certainly not "super bloated". The OS might not be perfect, but
I wouldn't call it buggy now.

>  . . .  I'm soooo glad Steve Jobs came back to save his baby (Apple),
> but I think his vision is severely clouded by his own stupid ego.  And
> that's bad for all of us.  He should have just secretly bought the
> BeOS after Amelio was ousted, and spent a couple of years on that
> beast to get it to print and network better. . . .

The main benefit of OS X is that it is basically a well known operating
system. One of the main reasons Macs didn't catch on in the business
world is that sys admins didn't like them because they're different.
Now the Mac is a known quantity - just another unix box. Moving the Mac
to BeOS would be incredibly stupid because there is effectively zero
programming community for that OS and zero support for it in schools
and businesses across the country.

SR