[MacDV] Re: Movies for a Pee Cee

Erica Sadun erica at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 13 08:52:49 PST 2003

At 8:22 AM -0800 2/13/03, Dennis R. Cohen wrote:
>Current versions of QuickTime will play VCD-compatible MPEG files just
>fine -- they just won't play them from the actual CD media. The
>shareware solution (MacVCD) allegedly works to play the discs (I haven't
>tried it recently) as does the freeware solution (vlc).

It depends on how many errors the media has. I've
gotten some to play from the CD. (The whole point
of mode2 stuff is that there's far less error
correction because it's less important during
playback compared to storing data exactly).
You just navigate to the MPEGAV and play from
there.

Anyway, I like FreeVCD the best in terms of price
and playback options on the Mac.

-- Erica