DVR-105 at Fry's

chouston at tiscalinet.it chouston at tiscalinet.it
Sat Feb 15 03:52:19 PST 2003

>Subject: [MacDV] DVR-105 $179 at Fry's
>From: Thubten Kunga <Kunga at FutureMedia.org>
>
>Fry's in California, Austin, Washington and Oregon has the Cendyne
>(Pioneer DVR-105) 4x DVD-R/RW DVD Burner on sale for $179 after $30
>rebate.

I thought of titling my message "DVD burning for the rest of us".

Given the high price of the Pioneer 105 in Europe (still over $300),
and the incredibly low price in the US (envy pause), I've been
looking for alternative brands.

Found the "NEC ND1000A DVD-RW" (listed name) for $200 shipped, which
is pretty cheap by Euro standards. Anyone ever heard of this drive?

Specs are listed as: 16x CD-R, 10x CDRW, 40x CD-Rom, 4x DVD+ R and
2.4x DVD+ RW.

No expert here, but is that +R and +RW the reason it might be
cheaper? ie. does the Mac need (prefer) the -R and -RW formats? Does
any Mac software work with the +R/RW format? I have Toast 5.2 but no
iDVD or DVD Pro.

Thanks for any help.

Chris

P.S. Failing the Euro alternatives, is there any kind soul on the
list who, going to buy one of the aforementioned bargain Pioneer 105
drives, might consider picking up a second and sticking in the
overseas mail (cash up front, naturally :-))?