[MacDV] Re: Mobile Setup

Erica Sadun erica at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 18 16:18:53 PST 2003

At 9:03 AM +0900 2/19/03, Daniel Beck wrote:
>On Tuesday, February 18, 2003, at 11:08 PM, Gordon B. Alley wrote:
>
>>Maybe I've been inattentive, but this is the first I've heard of
>>problems capturing to the internal hard disk, assuming the space is
>>available. I have a Canon ZR-40, which fails if I try to capture to
>>FireWire drives (this is a known problem with "older" Canon
>>camcorders). I've never had a problem capturing to the internal
>>disk with iMovie.
>
>Well, if you're not having trouble, then don't worry about it. But,
>I have, and I have read in books by Michael Rubin,  and Michael Wohl
>(and I believe Lisa Brenneis) that capturing to and exporting from
>the OS disk/partition is asking for trouble.

Really? Do you have a cite? Because I've never had any
trouble--and as a rule I avoid going over 1394 while
capturing. I'd really like to know what they have to
say. My gut instinct says that internal drives offer
the best speed and my reading/experience suggests that a
master second internal drive is always the best to write to.
Perhaps those guys are referring to the issue that you
never want to run iMovie in one partition and write to
another on the same disk... (Too much overhead on the
disk head leading to dropped frames).

Curiously, -- Erica