[MacDV] Re: iDVD3 w/ external drive... Anybody try this?

Rod Duncan roduncan at telus.net
Sat Feb 22 10:00:02 PST 2003

I have a Ti 667 DVI Powerbook with an external Pioneer DVR-105 and
the full install iLife DVD. Just bought it and I dropped it into a
nice minimalist case from FW Depot. In addition to the 911 Firewire
bus, I opted for the $5 extra USB 2 bus/port, too.

I digress... I am going over to a friend's today who has a Dualie G4
Superdrive equipped machine and will do the network install and patch
of iDVD3 onto the Ti DVI PB.

I have done "some" DVD burning with a previous and "now returned"
external Formac Pioneer DVR-105 drive and their Devideon software.
More on that on a later post. I will give it proper review coverage
then, 'nuff said.

Most of my DVD burning has been on this buddy's superdrive dualie G4
and my brother's flat panel iMac. I am reasonably familiar with
iDVD2. I have also used Cleaner 6, have experimented with DVD Studio
Pro 1.5.2 (probably end up using it) and have the Quicktime 6.02 with
the MPEG2 encoder.

The patch doesn't see the drive to burn? If that is the case, it
sounds like we might have to export the iDVD completed file maybe as
an image either to Toast or will it open in DVD Studio Pro for output
burning? Dunno, thinking out loud. Will have a better idea once I get
the iDVD on board my Powerbook and fool around with the various
software packages to see if it can be tricked into using the external
drive.

A small challenge to us iDVD hacker types. Lets see if someone can
wrestle this to the ground by Sunday PM.
You have your assignment.  < Grin >

"Mr Phelps... this tape will self-destruct in 10 seconds."

Rod