[MacDV] Re: iDVD3- does it work w/ non-Apple superdrives?

Thubten Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Fri Feb 28 12:46:55 PST 2003

On Friday, February 28, 2003, at 11:41 AM, Shane Walker wrote:

> Sorry if this has been covered a dozen times, but will iDVD 3 work on
> systems where an after-market (i.e. Firewire external) SuperDrive has
> been
> added?  I

Not with external FireWire. But yes with Pioneer DVR-105 inside a tower
or hooked from outside a Cube to the internal IDE cable hanging out
with an IDE extension cable.

>  know the iLife DVD installer disc refuses to install on such
> systems, but does the software itself function?

Not true. It will install but you have to have the patch posted by
fillip several times already to run it w/o a SuperDrive. But even then
it will only work until the burn, which is when most of the DVD files
are created prior to the actual burn.

If I were you, I would sell the TiBook when the new 15.2" APB's come
out (any week now) and replace it with a 2003 SuperDrive APB. You'll
have to take a small money hit, but it would be a lot less than if you
wait longer.