Pioneer DVD -105 and DVD Studio Pro

Ira Flatow iflatow at iraflatow.com
Wed Jan 1 18:21:21 PST 2003

On 1/1/03 8:29 PM, "Macintosh Digital Video List"
<MacDV at lists.themacintoshguy.com> wrote:

> Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 17:14:23 -0800
> Subject: [MacDV] Re: Pioneer DVR-105 for $170
> From: Thubten Kunga <Kunga at FutureMedia.org>
>
> External case will work just fine with DVD Studio Pro 1.5 and Toast
> 5.2. But you won't be able to use iDVD 2.1 with an external. Only
> internal. Make sure you have 10.2.3 installed as that's the first
> system version to support this drive.
>
> Kunga

As someone who has an external case with a DVR-105 in it, I can tell you
that it will NOT work fully using DVD Studio Pro.  You can burn a disc to
the external drive but you will NOT be able to Preview your progress as you
work on your project, unless you already have an internal DVD drive in
place.  You will  get an error, as I have and as have all others that I know
of who have tried (see Apple Support Discussion).  And trying to create a
DVD without a Preview function is like trying to do a jig saw puzzle blind
folded.

As an iMac FP user, with no internal DV drive, just CD-RW, the only way I
might get Preview to work is to install it internally or install another
internal DVD drive and use my external one to burn the DVD.

If anyone has any luck installing it - or a DVD drive  - in an iMac Flat
Panel and has success in using the Preview function, please let me know!

Thanks.

I. Flatow