Panasonic DVD recorders

Morey, Laurence R MoreyLR at corning.com
Thu Jan 2 06:41:12 PST 2003

I recently purchased a Panasonic DMR-E30K and have had great success with recording directly to it from my G4 450 running OS9.2 and Media 100 editing software and hardware.  I'm sending the DVD recorder an S-video signal and the quality looks quite good.  I haven't tried outputting directly from FCP3 yet but would need to go to miniDV or a converter as the DMR-E30K model doesn't have firewire input.  For $550 from Amazon.com it was well worth it for me.  The Panasonic DMR-HS2 looks to be of a very similar design to the DMR-E30K but with a built in hard drive and firewire input, which are some nice features for $300.  As far as I know you can also record directly to the DMR-HS2 through it's S-video input.  One nice feature on the lastest Panasonic DVD recorders which isn't mentioned in any specs I saw was the fact that they automatically place chapter marks every 5 minutes so you can jump ahead in long programs 5 minutes at a time without adding the markers automatically.  You can also create chapters (calle

Laurence Morey