[MacDV] Direct to DVD release

Erica Sadun erica at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 2 08:31:51 PST 2003

>Hi,
>
>Can anyone here tell me based on a sale of $19.99 USD what the
>actual cost of producing a DVD is? I am talking like the cost of the
>DVD disk, insert, casing...

A buck or so? I'm guessing a profit of $19.00+ (not including
marketing, distribution, etc...). For a run of 1000 discs,
you can expect to pay about a buck each for DVD-5 with printing,
case, customer-supplied insert & shrink wrap. If you just want
bulk printing (and you'll do the packaging yourself) and are
willing to do, say, 20-30 thousand at a run, that price drops
down to 50 or 60 cents.

-- Erica, who's been shopping around for this sort of thing