[MacDV] Re: Pioneer DVR-105 for $170

Steve Talkowski stevetalkowski at mac.com
Sat Jan 4 09:11:34 PST 2003

Ok, I just got back from the Office Max in Brooklyn (quite a trek from
the East Village)

I called before I departed and was told there were like two left.
When I get there, I'm comparing the product numbers mentioned from here
and the unit is NOT a DVR-105 but instead a DVR-104!   I had them
verify the numbers and after closer inspection of the fine print in the
Office Max flyer, it indicates "Models may vary at different
locations", with two different model numbers.

I went ahead and purchased it - Cendyne Part# CDICD00106 - here's the
relevant specs from the sticker on the back of the box:

Type: Internal
Data Interface: E-IDE/ATAPI
Data Buffer Memory: 512KB(read), 2MB(write)
Sustained Transfer Rate: DVD-ROM: 2x-4x(2.7MB/s - 5.4MB/s Max)  CD-ROM:
10.3x-24x(1.5MB/s - 3.6MB/s Max)
Disc Format: DVD ROM & VIDEO (Single & Dual Layer), DVD-R, DVD-RW
(Note: DVD-RAM not supported), CD-R, CD-RW, CD-DA (Audio CD), CD-ROM
(Mode 1&2), CD-ROM XA, Video CD, Photo CD (Single and Multi-Session),
CD-EXTRA (CD PLUS), HYBRID CD, CD-Text
Access Time: DVD-ROM: 200ms (Typical)  CD-ROM: 180ms (Typical)
System Requirements: Windows 98SE/Me/2000 Pro, etc.
Model Drive: Code DVR-104

Software included has "Manual for Nero Software" sticker apparently
replacing some other bundled software.

**So my big question is, what are the differences between the DVR-104
and DVR-105?  Will the DVR-104 work in my 450 G4?  Also, the Sustained
Transfer Rate of 2x-4x, does this truly mean 4x max burn speed?**

If it doesn't work in my G4 I could install it in my custom built dual
Athlon PC - it's too good a deal to return, right?

I'll await a few responses before breaking the plastic wrapping...

Thanks all for the initial heads up and for keeping everyone informed
about this great deal,

-Steve