[MacDV] Analog Video to Digital

Ric Perrott writerric at mac.com
Mon Jan 6 10:43:32 PST 2003

On Monday, January 6, 2003, at 12:35  PM, Larry Briggs wrote:

> I want to convert analog Sony 8 and Hi8 video tapes to digital format,
> so that I can edit and then burn DVD's on my iMac.
>
> Separately, and later, I want to have old 8mm home movies converted to
> digital format for editing and burning to DVD's. Everything I read
> suggests that I should definitely not go through VHS for the movies.
>
> I was given a Dazzle Hollywood DV Bridge to link between my analog
> Sony video camera and my iMac. The quality of the movies on my Mac
> screen is much darker and color is lost. I gather from the Dazzle
> website, though, that the problem is due to the display not showing
> the full file being converted.
>
> The more I read, I wonder, should I have gotten a digital video camera
> as the bridge between the analog videocam and the iMac, rather than
> the Dazzle DV Bridge? I would appreciate any comments and suggestions.
>
> When I convert my home movies, since I plan to avoid VHS, would the
> output be to digital video tape which I would want to play on a
> digital video camera to export into my iMac for editing and burning?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Larry

Larry,

If you don't mind doing simple editing (i.e. Cuts Only, no fancy titles
or transitions) and you want to save HOURS on MPEG-2 encoding, then
look into getting the USB Instant DVD for Mac from ADS. This product is
a real time MPEG-2 encoder and will take any analog video source and
convert it into MPEG-2 (the native format for DVD) in real-time.

They provide a simple editing utility that allows you to trim the
MPEG-2 files and do simple editing, but nothing along the lines of
iMovie. To edit with iMovie/FCP you'll need to convert your video to DV
first. Be aware though that DV->MPEG-2 encoding can take many hours to
perform even with a dual proc machine. Also, USB Instant DVD cannot
accept DV input so it cannot convert that to MPEG-2.

There is a workaround where you could import your video as DV, edit it
in iMovie or FCP, then save it out to a SVHS tape. Then reimport the
SVHS tape via Instant DVD and you will have saved a considerable amount
of time with very little resolution loss. I've used this method to
import Hi-8 and SVHS video and then burned it to DVD in a fraction of
the time it would have taken my lowly Titanium Powerbook 550 to
software encode the DV->MPEG-2. Take a look at the StudioDV product
from Formac to import analog video as DV.

http://www.adstech.com/products/USB_Instant_DVD/intro/
usb700intro.asp?pid=USBAV-700
http://www.formac.com/p_bin/?cid=solutions_converters_studiodv

Good Luck.