[MacDV] Re: Safari pros and Cons!

Erica Sadun erica at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 8 10:37:01 PST 2003

>On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 12:02 PM, Erica Sadun wrote:
>
>>The whole point of the way markup languages were specified was to
>>allow each browser to have control over the output of the
>>description. This, I always felt, was amazingly stupid. Time has (I
>>believe) proved me right.
>
>Its actually more directed at conceptually separating the content
>from specifics of display to make it portable. The viewer gets to
>specify things like what <BOLD> is, but that's not really the key
>motivation. The primary motivator is to create an abstract idea of
>presentation that makes the content look fairly good across a lot of
>devices with different sizes and capabilities. Its not as dumb as it
>looks on the surface.

quoting:

Unlike other common document file formats that represent both content
and presentation, SGML represents a document's content data and
structure (interrelationships among the data). Removing the
presentation from content establishes a neutral format. SGML
documents and the information in them can easily be re-used by
publishing and non-publishing applications.

/quoting

(Baby in other arm--sorry about brevity/typos)

Presentation *NOT* part of markup lang philosophy.

onehanded -- E