[MacDV] Re: External FW Cases for DVD burner

Bart Dame dameb001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Jan 11 19:03:52 PST 2003

And, on 1/11/03 9:41 AM, Thubten Kunga at Kunga at FutureMedia.org wrote:

>  BTW did you read my posts about the
>internal/external 105 hack so you can run iDVD3? You won't need a case
>if you want to run it that way.

So, after lurking a while, I write:

Hi guys! I'm in the same boat as Randy. Almost. I got a raincheck
from Office Max on the CeleDyne/ Pioneer drive. Given the confusion
that I've read about here, I'm not sure if it will be the 104 or the
105, though I spec'd the 105. Nor am I certain that it will arrive
before the CeleDyne rebate offer runs out. Nor do I know if Office
Max will honor their own now expired instant rebate, although I
assume that that's what the raincheck is for.

If, somehow through all these uncertainties, a reasonably priced
Pioneer 105  arrives for me, I will also be putting it into an
external firewire case. I am looking at the Pyro. That part seems
pretty straightforward to me and, yes, <http://www.xlr8yourmac.com>
is an excellent resource. I read it thoroughly every time I begin to
covet more storage. (Seems to be about every 6 to 9 months!)

I have a TiBook 500 with an external Western Digital 120 GB FireWire
HD. I doubt the Pioneer drive will easily swap into the space
currently occupied  by the the slot-loading DVD drive ;0, So if some
work-around exists to use iDVD with an external drive setup, I'd
appreciate any advice I can get.

TIA,
Bart