La Cie's 120 Gb external HD

Gordon B. Alley galley at texas.net
Sun Jan 12 08:06:50 PST 2003

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 08:49:20 +0900, XXL <xxl at mac.com> wrote:
>  >> - will I be able to import DV footage with iMovie straight onto it
>>>  (bypassing my internal HD)?
>
>Yes, no problem. Use the new project command and navigate to the external
>drive in the SAVE dialog. Yu can save it anywhere you like.
>

>>>  This appears to be a 7,200 rpm device, but I don't know if it comes with
>>>  an Oxford 911 bridge ...
>
>I am not aware of any drives that are currently manufactured with anything
>else except the Oxford 911 chipset.  You can still find some at retail but
>no one that I am aware of is using the older technology in current products.
>-Joel

Just a reminder.

The iMovie Help still states that you should not capture from a Canon
DV camcorder to a FireWire drive, only to the internal hard disk. I
have a Canon ZR 40, and I've never been able to successfully capture
to my external FireWire drive with my iMac G4 800 (one time it even
trashed the external to the extent that I reformatted it).

Here's the quote: "If you are using a Canon DV camcorder, you can't
import or export directly to a FireWire hard disk. Instead, import or
export to your internal hard disk and copy the file to the FireWire
hard disk."

Someone stated recently (maybe on this list) that Jaguar might have
corrected this problem. I tried it again with Jaguar, and the capture
aborted almost immediately.

I'm using iMovie 2.1.2 with OS X 10.2.3.

--
Gordon Alley  <*>
<mailto:galley at texas.net>