[MacDV] Re: iMovie3 for OS 9 as well?

Mark Florida markflo at mac.com
Tue Jan 14 21:12:49 PST 2003

I have a lot of the same feelings about OS X...  I *HAVE* to use it at work now to manage our new buggy Mac OS X Server...  It's crashed more in the past few days than my old AppleShare IP server crashed in the last few months... ugh...  progress...

And the DVD issue...  Apple could very easily sell their own FireWire SuperDrive with their own special chip in it to use with iDVD, but they won't.  Simply because they make way more money from even the SuperDrive eMac at $1499 than they would selling a peripheral people could add to their "older" systems (less than 1 or 2 years old in some cases) for only $399 or so.  The licensing fee is very small (not sure exactly how small), and this is why there are so many cheap MPEG apps for Windoze.  Anyway, when you buy the DVD-R drive you pay this fee (right?).

Having said that, I think Apple is making a lot of wise choices looking towards the future.  The way they are building the OS, the way new apps are written, in a few years Microsoft will be trying to figure out how to build an OS that's *HALF* of what the Mac OS will be...  that's my prediction...

Now they just gotta get the hardware going a little faster...  ;-)  And optimize the OS until it hurts!

- Mark