[MacDV] storage/Frankenstein Macs

Danny Grizzle danny at mogulhost.com
Thu Jan 16 06:59:14 PST 2003

On 1/16/03 8:26 AM, "Claudia Roberts" <croberts at nyct.net> wrote:

> I have a macintosh 9600 and would like to add DV removable storage.  I
> need a lot of storage for images and video clips and would like to have
> the removables because my video raid recently failed and I may have lost
> a lot of data.  Does anyone know what I can use.  I would like to use
> 4.5G removable disks.

I'm not sure what "DV removable storage" is, or "4.5G removable disks." Just
thought I would point out that I have a couple of older 8500 machines (c.
1995) which have been successfully upgraded using boards from Sonnet
Technologies:

  <http://www.sonnettech.com/>

Specifically, I have added Cresendo G4 800 MHz CPU upgrade, plus a Tempo
Trio card. The Tempo Treo adds Firewire, USB, and support for up to 4
internal ATA/IDE hard disks.

I am not using these particular computers for video applications, so I can't
confirm whether the moon and stars and PCI bus as in alignment to support
video data transfer rates. But I can confirm that all this stuff works great
together, and that the upgrade has given my older computers a new lease on
life.

I also added a ton of RAM. For this, see Other World Computing:

  <http://www.macsales.com>

Other World Computing is becoming a major force in the Mac market. Their
support for older Macs certainly beats all the mainstream mail order houses
badly. Not only can you find memory & such for older machines, the price is
on par with going market rate, not the super premium charged by others.
Highly recommended!

BTW - I have installed huge internal ATA hard disks and 120G external
Firewire drives, and everything has worked like a charm.

Danny Grizzle