iMac G3, Ext. DVD burner & authoring options

Phil A. Lefebvre p-lefebvre at northwestern.edu
Sun Jan 19 19:10:58 PST 2003

>Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 20:20:53 -0600
>From: Randy Clark <hawkgx at planetkc.com>
>
>I'm trying to find out my options for DVD authoring with this setup.  I
>already know iDVD is out of the question (external burner); and DVD Studio
>Pro is out as well (req. G4 and costs way too much anyway).

Too bad you already bought a DVD burner. Formac sells a decent FW DVD
burner with much improved DVD authoring software. $399 and works on a
G3.

>I know Toast 5.1.1 will burn to DVDs, but is there a relatively simple way
>for me to take my iMovies, export them to a suitable format and then burn it
>to a DVD for viewing on my home DVD player?

Software Architects just released an updated application that will
turn MPEG video into DVD-compliant files that Toast can burn to DVD.
Then it should work like a standard video disc. Can't recall the
name, and I think it is OS 9-only (don't know about Classic) but a
good investment for $99.

>Monosyllabic answers are okay, seeing as I'm pretty much a desktop video
>novice.

There are a whole host of Unixy utilities coming out that can be
strung together to eventually produce a DVD, but based on what you
say there, it might not be the solution you're looking for.