ZR40 question

derekraby at sympatico.ca derekraby at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 20 13:02:13 PST 2003

Darby asked:

>as it appears that you are well versed in the Canon ZR series perhaps
>you can answer me this:

I wouldn't say that, but I do have a ZR20 and a GL1.  Both are great.

>I have a Canon ZR40 and it appears to have an audio auto gain
>feature. If someone on camera is talking the levels are fine. If
>there is a break in the conversation, the microphone appears to
>increase in sensitivity. This produces an annoying ebb and flow of
>his in between sentences. Is there a way to stop the camera from
>doing this?

You can't stop the camera from doing that since that's how the built in Auto Gain Control works on that
model.  (The GL1 has a more sophisticated AGC that doen't pump up and down.)

But you can improve the audio picked up by the camera with a better on-camera mic mounted to the
hot shoe on top, preferably a good inch or two away from the noise of the camera's mechanics.
Shotgun mics have been discussed on this list many times.  There a few choices out there in a small
size (so as not to tip the camera way off balance too much) with a mini plug connector from Sennheiser,
Azden, Sony and others.  Check www.BHphotovideo.com

DR