ZR40 audio

Derek Raby derekraby at sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 21 07:06:54 PST 2003

Darby wrote:
>I am using a wireless remote mic, from... uh...ummm, ok, it's
from
>Radio Shack. Do you think that this unit could be contributing
to >>the pumping?

No, the pumping is the camera's internal circuitry adjusting
the automatic gain control according to how much noise it's picking
up. no matter what mic you are using.

I know the Radio Shack wireless mic you are talking about cause
I have it too - made by Sony?  It's surprisingly not bad for
the price but it uses 900mhz cordless phone technology to make
it wireless rather than UHF or even VHF.  So it is prone to interference.
 (I've sinced moved up to the Sennheiser Evolution UHF wireless
kit.)

The only thing you can do is to be aware of the background noise
in the room - shut off air conditioning, anything with a fan
if possible or move to another room if necessary - seek out a
quiet spot for interviews.  Also if you do get a new microphone,
either lavelier or shotgun, you can get one that is directional
rather than omnidirectional which will reject noise from the
what it's not pointed at, but you have to be careful that it
always stays positioned perfectly or you can create more problems
than you've solved.

Other than that, if it's a real issue for you, you may have to
upgrade to a more expensive camera that has either a better auto
gain, like the GL1, or manual audio levels, like the GL2 or Sony
PD150.

Good luck.

DR