[MacDV] Re: talkin' 'bout drives

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Fri Jan 31 08:25:47 PST 2003

On Thursday, January 30, 2003, at 08:21  PM, Daniel Beck wrote:

> I'm not sure who makes the internal mechanism, but I like the Mercury
> Elite drives from Other World Computing:

They use drives from just about every company internally. For example
they're currently selling:

40 GB ExelStor (IBM 120GCP)
60 & 80 GB IBM DeskStar 120GXP
120 GB IBM DeskStar 180GXP
120 & 200 GB Western Digital Caviar
200 GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus

 From my experience, the "internals" change from time to time.

Also, don't confuse the specs listed for the drives as they would be if
installed internally with what you'll get in an external Firewire
enclosure limited by the 400 Mbps bus and the interface in the unit.

-Mike