[MacDV] Re: Analog capture card?

Gary Fujihara fujihara at subaru.naoj.org
Mon Jul 7 00:42:53 PDT 2003

> If you're using FCP, the new Aja I/O box is supposed to be quite good.
> Blackmagic's Decklink SP card gets great reviews. If you're not tied to
> FCP, and also have a little time, Avid is upgrading their XpressDV
> product to XpressPro. Combined with their 'Mojo' box to be released this
> fall, you'll have DV, DVCPro50, as well as compressed and uncompressed
> SD. The box also acts as an accelerator for real time output (no
> rendering) of multiple streams of DV. Given my past experience with Avid
> products, even though it's vaporware at this point, when it is released
> it will be a stable, solid product. I use the current XpressDV product,
> and it is a great piece of work. I realize this is largely a matter of
> personal tastes, but I find it better to work with than FCP 3.
>
> Beyond this, more detail would be helpful -- do you want to keep the
> video SD? transcode to DV? Need component i/o? Budget? Etc?

   Thanks for the information Tim.  At this point in time, we are keeping
with SD, however Subaru Telescope does have access to the NHK HDTV camera
that mounts on the cassegrain focus.  There may be an opportunity to
broadcast live images (and of course, tape).  One idea for the broadcast
would be to use some sort of HD-SDI converter to change the signal to XGA
and then broadcast over netmeeting over OC3 fiber to the University of
Hawaii at Hilo Theater, and projected onto a screen.  This would be far
preferable to showing it on our large plasma screen (which is big, but not
big enough for large audiences).  So maybe we can avoid the extra cost of
working with HD format in this way.  Transcode to DV?  Yes...component i/o?
Yes...budget?  Not limitless, but we do have some latitude for cool stuff
(not as cool as Kunga would have us)...Also, we're tied to FCP.

Best Regards
Gary Fujihara
--
Subaru Telescope - NAOJ