Much Ado About Nothing

William Hofius wjh at mac.com
Thu Jul 17 10:34:42 PDT 2003

When I first read the complaints about the G5 advertisement, I thought
a "kid" aka baby or small child under the age of 10, was blown through
the wall. I finally saw the G5 ad on VH1 last night. The "kid" is some
high school or college aged person.

If a complaint should be raised, it should be that this ad, like all
Apple ads, doesn't say much about the hardware or show it in use. Jeff
Goldbloom's voiceover doesn't mention any of the special features of
the G5 (world's first 64-bit processor in a desktop computer, up to 8
GB of RAM, up to 1 GHz front-side bus, etc.).

A much better version of the ad would go something like this:

Establishing shot of woman and man in a doorway. Woman kisses young man
on cheek and says she'll be ready in a few minutes. Guy replies great
and he will do a little work while she is getting ready. Cut to shot of
guy as he sits down in front of G5 and 23in Cinema Display. Cut to
camera panning around the G5 as Goldbloom's voiceover begins touting
G5's unique features. Cut to close up of hand reaching for G5 power
button or Apple optical mouse. Loud explosion of noise. Cut to doorway
and woman comes in and asks, "Honey, are you OK?" She looks up. Cut to
close-up. Cut to her POV and we see a hole in the shape of a person
through the walls of the house. Cut to view from outside of house
looking back at holes. Cut to close up of guys face. Goldbloom's
voiceover says, "The new PowerMac G5: It will blow you away."

(Then of course there is the wonderful T2 style promo featuring an
Arnold voiceover that I have had in mind for weeks.)