[MacDV] Re: The quality of 8MM film

Jim Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Wed Jul 23 12:05:11 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 23, 2003, at 02:41  PM, Paul Williams wrote:

> Thanks Jim.
>
> You're thinking along my lines. I was going to paint an entire wall
> white, or do something like you suggest with the white paper, and film
> from there. I was also thinking of getting the highest quality screen i
> can find and use that.
>
> I was also tossed up as to whether the distance of the camera from the
> projection surface would make a significant difference. I would think
> being too far away could cause a loss of color and contrast or just not
> enough light in general, but being too close might not provide enough
> "picture". Any additional thoughts?
>
> Paul Williams

Too close you will get a shadow.
Right next to the projector at a moderate distance to fill a piece of
paper about 80%. This makes a nice tight picture. A real screen would be
nice,
Make the room very dark. (Doh) If there is sound you can sometimes get a
line out
or mic the speaker , I like the sprockety sound if you can get the audio
ok and you are going to use music.
Framing depends on the film. Sometimes you might want or get a slight
vignette effect but sometimes there are sharp edges.. Just try to frame
it decently.
Jim