[MacDV] Re: New to list - suggestions invited, please!

MrWitch mrwitch at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Jul 28 02:21:10 PDT 2003

 >From: Gerhard Kuhn <gerhardk at mac.com>
 >
 >Will you be editing? If not consider using a set-top DVD recorder, it
 >would certainly be faster. On a G4 this could be enough work to keep
 >you busy for a couple of years, one tape per day 200 work days a year.
 >The only problem would be you would not be able to use one to make VCDs.
 >
 >Gerhard Kuhn
 >suspice at hay.net
 >
 >P.S. This is an article that gives you a bit of insight as to what a
 >set-top recorder can do.
 >

 >http://www.techtv.com/freshgear/print/0,23102,3405534,00.html

Yeah, that would be nice, but unfortunately the purpose of this entire
project is to edit out the commercials! That, plus the fact that the DVD
recordable media is still cost-prohibitive for such a large-scale
project. If you figure 1 DVD = 2 hours, then at MOST I could get is 3
~45 minute sections per disc, so 500 VHS tapes @ 6 sections per tape is
~3,000 sections, so I'd need 1,000 DVD-R's or a similar item at about
$30 each....  WOW! $30,000 !!!!  Now, I could probably get a bulk rate
somewhere, but...  not enough where I could afford it. CD-R at pennies a
disc is the best option for me. Trust me, I figured all this out two
years ago when I thought about first doing this.

This is also why I don't mind using a computer for this. I have the
time, but not the money. Besides, under OS X I can edit 20-30 video
discs at a time, then batch process them over a few days or a week if
necessary. Then spend a day or two burning them, then start over. This
way, it gives me something to do, I can spread the costs out over
months, and I can still be done quicker than doing them one at a time.
Since I have many other computers, I can dedicate one to the encoding or
whatever needs doing and use others for day-to-day tasks.

To the gentleman who suggested a DV camera: Yeah, that would be nice,
too. However, I feel that is a much more expensive solution than even a
FireWire capture device. Since I am capturing from VHS at EP speed
(mostly), the source quality is not 100% anyway, so a camera that does
all of the bells and whistles is kinda overkill. Thanks anyway.

Sorry if I seem to be shooting down everyone's ideas. Not my intention
at all, just trying to let everyone know what I have to work with and
the limitations.

Michael