[MacDV] Re: Using Commercial Music in a Video

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Wed Jul 30 06:43:40 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 01:29 AM, Lisa Kirsch wrote:

> I could come up with a lot more examples from web sites (those are
> only from the first page of Google results), but I imagine you can see
> the pattern... and understand why I am confused :-/  I guess they
> expect the customers to provide royalty-free music?

Warning: I really have no idea, so don't put too much into this
observation.

I was just intrigued by the fact that the customer is supposed to
supply their own music. My interpretation of this is that its OK to do
it since the "customer" is using music they purchased for personal use
-just hiring someone else to do it. Something like, it would be OK for
me to hire someone (like my daughter :- ) to rip a stack of my CDs into
iTunes for my personal use (I'm the customer, she's the contractor). I
don't know if doing it that way really gets around the legal hurdles or
not.

Is that what you were referring to?

-Mike