question about which G4 to buy for digital vido

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sun Jun 1 00:38:50 PDT 2003

> From: gail weisman <gweisman2 at attbi.com>
>
> i don't think i need a superdrive, for the time being i'm not sure i
> need to
> press DVDs; i would like to burn CDs for music though. do i need the
> superdrive to do that?

No, but if you're working in video, TRUST ME you need a Superdrive.

> as far as apps, i have OLD versions of all pirated software (shhh,
> don't
> call the software police) so i'm bummin out there.

"If you can't afford the tools of the trade, you're not ready for the
trade."

>  i'm going to have to find
> some sources because i can't afford $1000 for the new photoshop,
> another
> $1000 for final cut pro, etc., etc,    i'm an unemployed graphic
> designer
> with a temp job, some savings and a good credit rating, but i'm not
> loaded
> or anything (plus i live in the SF bay area which is ridiculously
> expensive).

Here's a solution that is both legal and affordable:

Take some classes at a recognised learning institute on Photoshop, FCP,
etc whatever. Now buy the software you need at an academic discount.
Once you've completed the training and are out there making money, buy
the retail versions at the next upgrade cycle as a way of thanking the
companies for making student pricing available, and because it's the
legal and moral thing to do. If you don't want YOUR work to be stolen,
don't steal from others. Bad kharma.

_Chas_

"The Box said 'Windows 95 or better' ... so I got a Macintosh."