[MacDV] new hard drives

Jeff Fay jeff.fay at uaf.edu
Tue Jun 3 12:59:47 PDT 2003

lloyds wrote:

>1) Into a Dual 1 GHz G4, I've just installed a Maxtor 6Y200P0 200 gig
>hard drive.  It came with no software or instructions except on the case
>it showed the jumper connections to make it the slave, which I did.  It
>is sitting on top of the original hard drive, which uses the black plug
>at the end of the cable. the new drive uses the gray plug, in the middle
>of the cable.  The new drive is not recognized (no icon on the desktop,
>no mention in the system profiler).  Is there some trick I've missed?
>Do I need an ultra ATA card? (The manual says that the computer
>supports: "ATA devices, including ATA, ATA-2, ATA-3 up to ATA-6 devices;
>Ultra ATA devices; Ultra-66 ATA devices" -- and some other SCSI stuff).

Have you gone to Drive Setup (OS9) or Disk Utility (OS X) to see if the
drive shows up there? If it does, erase/format the disk. That should
solve the problem.

>2) I also have a Western Digital WD1200JBRTL 120 gig internal hard
>drive, and would like to put it into an enclosure and hook it to the
>same computer.  I've never done this, so I don't know the details.  Is
>it possible?  Does an enclosure make the transition from a forty-pin
>plug to a firewire cable?  Who's a good enclosure dealer?  The last one
>mentioned on the list that I saved was www.fwdepot.com, but it froze my
>computer when I tried it!

I have two Firewire drives that started out as Western Digital Firewire
drives. The WD enclosure and Firewire bridge died within about a year on
both of them. The drive inside was fine; just the bridge died. Since
then I've had good luck with WeibeTech Desktop GB USB/Firewire drive
enclosures. They've got a simple case to gain access to and a fan. And
they'll work with either USB or Firewire. Whatever you get, make sure it
uses the Oxford 911 firewire bridge.

--
Jeff Fay
Media Services Technician

phone (907) 474-5349
fax (907) 474-5139
pager 1-(877) 705-6923
jeff.fay at uaf.edu
http://www.uaf.edu/coop-ext
-----

THE STONE AGE did not end because people ran out of stone. The Petroleum Age will not end because we run out of petroleum, but because we develop superior technologies.

Fritjof Capra, physicist and philosopher, speaking at the Bioneers conference, October 2002