S-VCD Refresher course needed

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sat Jun 7 22:20:00 PDT 2003

> From: David Thrasher <idave at earthlink.net>
>
>  From the descriptions of solutions I've been reading here it looks
> like
> I either need to buy a new G4 equipped computer (mine's a G3 iMac) in
> order to use an external DVD burner or an internal Superdrive to make
> video DVDs (out of my budget) or upgrade to Jaguar (I've got OS 10.1.5
> on the OS X side right now) in order to use any of the available
> solutions for making a S-VCD.

No, that's not correct. I make SVCDs on a G3 iMac with only a CD-burner
(but I do have Jag, but it's not mandatory). In practical terms, a G4
is a much better idea, and OS X is for all practical purposes mandatory.

> I expect that I will
> probably bite the bullet and buy Jaguar and go through whatever pain it
> takes to install it without hopefully losing anything I've downloaded
> for OS X in the process.

I promise, you won't lose a THING if you use the "Archive and Install"
option when you upgrade to Jaguar. One of the most trouble-free
installations I've *ever* had. More info about "Archive and Install"
can be found here:

Remember this, though, it's IMPORTANT: for best results, use either
DiskWarrior or at least Cocktail to "clean up/repair" your current
system BEFORE and AFTER the Jag install. Really helps prevent any
possible problems. DiskWarrior 3 is available from Alsoft.com; Cocktail
can be found (free) at macupdate.com or versiontracker.com.

_Chas_

James Lileks, on Apple's iMovie versus XP's Moviemaker:
"Was [my bro-in-law's] machine cheaper? Yes. But time is money; I've
never had to claw my way through the sodden mess of a corporate website
looking for the one driver that will let me do what I want to do. I've
never had to spend a Sunday afternoon trying to understand what iMovie
wants me to do, because it does what *I* want it to do. He said that
Moviemaker made him feel stupid, because he couldn't figure out the
simplest tasks.
I'll say this for his machine, though: if he ever wants to back up that
3.3 GB movie file on floppy disks, he's all set."