[MacDV] Re: Emptying Trash/Download

Heather Donahue maclists at sonic.net
Wed Jun 11 11:56:38 PDT 2003

On 6/11/03 6:14 AM, "Karl Seilo" <kseilo at ameritech.net> wrote:

> I started downloading the new iMovie 3.0.3 app two days ago onto my new
> iBook via my dial-up account.  However, after realizing how large the
> file was I decided to abort the download until another time when I
> could afford to download it with my DSL modem at home.  I  clicked on
> the Download Manager window -- highlighted the download and hit the
> delete key -- got  the "are you sure" message -- clicked yes.  Now I
> can't throw away the .asp file remnant that sits on my desktop.  I've
> changed ownership to my name in the get info. 'permissions' window and
> even tried re-naming the file with .xls, doc.  and .pdf but I can't get
> it to 'trash'.  Whenever I try moving it to the trash I get a warning
> window that reads:
> "The item 'xxxx.asp' is being used by another task right now.
> (Other tasks including moving, copying, or emptying the Trash.)
>
> Try again when the other task is complete.

I had this problem before and the only way to get rid of it was with the
Terminal and the 'rm' command.  I think the Finder considers the file as in
use or open for some reason.  I checked in the Terminal and the file wasn't
open so deleting it won't hurt anything.

Assuming you've never deleted anything with the Terminal:

Launch the Terminal application in /Applications/Utilities
Type rm and then a space
Drag the file to the open Terminal window
Press return in the Terminal window

Now the file should get deleted.