Final Cut 4 - Speed Control Issue, New Firewire

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Tue Jun 17 08:29:57 PDT 2003

> From: Richard Brown <richard at go2rba.com>
>
> Well, I've had FCP4 up and running for a while now and find its
> ergonomics improved, but there seems to be an issue with Speed
> Control.  I imported an edit from FCP 3 which features quite a few
> speed control  segments (sports) and have noticed an odd aberration
> in playback -  stuttering, almost like skip frame printing (in
> motion picture terms)  where frame 1 plays, frames 2-4 are skipped,
> then frame 5 plays, and  then the sequence repeats. This was in a
> RENDERED speed control  sequence.

Were these Speed Control sequences speeded up, slowed down, or some
of each?  If I understand your description, you are getting 2 frames
out of every 5 in your rendered footage, which sounds like a
significant speeding up (better than double speed).  Are frames 1 and
5 being copied/rendered multiple times?  You say that frames 1 and 5
play "and then the sequence repeats," which I take to mean that the
rendered sequence incorporates frames 1, 5, 6, 10, 11, 15, 16, 20
etc. from the original footage.  Is this what you meant?  That would
certainly be odd.

derek

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, MSC03-2100
Ortega Hall Rm 129, 1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek at unm.edu