[MacDV] Using iDVD's encoder engine for making DVD Video disks longer than 90 minutes

Erica Sadun erica at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 18 07:54:32 PDT 2003

At 8:04 AM -0500 6/18/03, Laine Lee wrote:
>In case you're interested, I've published some information about using
>iDVD's encoder engine for making DVD Video disks longer than 90 minutes at
>http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/idvd.html.
>
>Thanks.

I don't recommend reencoding M2V files.

The key to longer video discs is a lower bitrate. I've been
playing with iDVD to see if I can trick it into doing a lower
rate, but it's not immediately obvious how to do so.

If you're going to use FFmpegX (or whatever), offer it the
original video files, not the stuff that iDVD produces.

And, why not just use a normal encoder like TMPGEnc on the PC
instead?

-- Erica