Using iDVD's encoder engine for making DVD Video disks longer than 90 minutes

Dennis R. Cohen drcohen at mac.com
Wed Jun 18 10:50:23 PDT 2003

On 6/18/03 at 8:54 AM, "Erica Sadun" <erica at mindspring.com> transmitted
the following electronic message:

>At 8:04 AM -0500 6/18/03, Laine Lee wrote:
>>In case you're interested, I've published some information about
>>using iDVD's encoder engine for making DVD Video disks longer than 90
>>minutes at http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/idvd.html.
>>
>>Thanks.
>
>I don't recommend reencoding M2V files.
>
>The key to longer video discs is a lower bitrate. I've been playing
>with iDVD to see if I can trick it into doing a lower rate, but it's
>not immediately obvious how to do so.
>
>If you're going to use FFmpegX (or whatever), offer it the original
>video files, not the stuff that iDVD produces.
>
>And, why not just use a normal encoder like TMPGEnc on the PC instead?

I'll agree with Erica on the first part of this. Reencoding m2v files is
going to result in more quality loss than reencoding the original DV
file.

I disagree with the supposition in the last question, though. mencoder
and mpeg2enc, the two encoders that ffmpeg uses, are both just as much
"normal encoders" as the mpeg-2 encoding engine in TMPGEnc. In fact,
I've generally had better results with mpeg2enc than my earlier attempts
with TMPGEnc, and now I don't have to give up desk space to a PC that I
don't want, anyway. The cost of the machine, whether $200 or not, isn't
as critical to me as the space the miserable thing (for which I have no
other use) consumes.

--Dennis Cohen