VHS to iMovie question

Ray Zimmerman rz10 at cornell.edu
Mon Jun 23 07:03:42 PDT 2003

Yesterday I was trying to import a VHS directly to iMovie using my
Sony Digital8 camera as a converter. I was not able to do it directly
because every time I hit the Import button in iMovie it switched my
camera to "Play". I hit "Play" on the VCR and everything displays
fine on the camera viewfinder and in iMovie, but as soon as I hit
"Import" in iMovie it sets the camera to play. So I ended up
recording it to Digital8 tape and later importing it into iMovie from
the digital tape.

Does anybody know of a way to make iMovie record without it telling
the camera to "play"?

(It occurs to me as I type this that maybe removing the tape from the
camera would be a workaround. I was hoping to copy it to digital tape
at the same time. When I hit play on the VCR and record on the
camera, everything was passing through to iMovie and I just want to
tell iMovie to capture what it's displaying, without sending any
control signals to the camera which switch it from record to play)

--
  Ray Zimmerman  / e-mail: rz10 at cornell.edu / 428-B Phillips Hall
   Sr Research  /   phone: (607) 255-9645  /  Cornell University