G5 - is it really that fast?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Thu Jun 26 10:18:05 PDT 2003

> From: Video International <videoint at jb3.so-net.ne.jp>
>
> What I care about is whether Apple resorts to misleading statements.
> Not concluding that they do, but for me that is the issue here.

If they've published the complete criteria of how VeriTest did the
tests, how on earth can the statements be misleading?

Greg Joswiak put it better than I ever could: we HAD to use a compiler
that was identical across platforms. Yes we would have gotten better
numbers out of the Xeon if we'd used Intel's compilers ... but we also
would have gotten even better numbers out of the G5 if we'd used
Apple's compilers.

In *EVERY* test done where there was a possible variance, the numbers
that were published were the ones MOST FAVOURABLE to the P4 or Xeon.

Bottom line: this "Apple cheated" dog doesn't hunt. That sound you hear
is the whining of crybaby PC users who can't stand it that they got
beat at their own game.

_Chas_

If this country had a national motto, it would be "DOH!"