[MacDV] Re: G4 that boot into Mac OS 9

Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Thu Jun 26 22:29:02 PDT 2003

On Thursday, June 26, 2003, at 02:01  PM, Ted Langdell wrote:
> According to an authorized dealer from whom I just ordered an dual-boot
> machine for a client, Apple is now offering
>
> a 1.25 GHz Dual G4 w/ 512MB ram, 120GB HD, Superdrive,  for $2,499,

Kunga comments in black:

KEY Specification not mentioned. This is LAST YEAR's 1.25 GHz processor
with the 2MB L3 cache and is radically overpriced compared to the
stripped down version below.

> a single processor 1.25 with 256 MB Ram, 80MB drive and combo drive for
> $1,299,

KEY Specification not mentioned. This is THIS YEAR's 1.25 GHz processor
with the 1MB L3 cache.

> and in about a month, a dual processor 1.25 with 256/80/combo for
> $1,599.

KEY Specification not mentioned. This is LAST YEAR's 1.25 GHz processor
with the 2MB L3 cache. This is the STEAL DEAL. I bought one Tuesday
morning only two months after having bought a dual 867 for $1317. Why?
Because I wouldn't pay the over priced $2500 two months ago and I am
happy to pay $900 less now for the LAST most powerful dual Mac G4 that
can boot OS 9 and gain 766 MHz between the two faster processors and
double the cache and a 25% faster bus all for only less than $300 more
than I paid for the dual 867 in late April. I have no doubt I will be
able to resell my dual 867 for what I paid for it.

> As Chas says, this hardware is using the older motherboard without
> Firewire 800.
>
> No timeline offered on how long theOS 9.2/OS10.x  dual booters will be
> offered.

My GUESS is not long. This is using what few parts are left from last
year. I predict they will be SOLD OUT within a few weeks. i predict
severe PowerMac shortage or full NONE LEFT before the end of July.

I got mine from Small Dog and they were only allowed to buy 19 from
Apple. They are among the largest resellers of Macs outside of Apple.
Better move fast on this one if you see the light. G5's are an Autumn
phenomenon - maybe even Winter if the pre-production sales cue gets as
long as it might.

> One hopes that the software writers that haven't yet, will get drivers
> out for OS 10 so that the need to boot into OS 9 is significantly
> reduced. Printer and scanner drivers particularly.

If you have any legacy software you like to run this Mac rocks in 9.