The new G5's

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Fri Jun 27 23:20:23 PDT 2003

> From: Video International <videoint at jb3.so-net.ne.jp>
>
> The pluses are numerous. The minuses are: only 3 PCI slots (one used)
> and room for only 2 drives. Love the design!

There are FOUR PCI slots in the G5, with one already in use for the
video card. That leaves three available slots.

As for the lack of internal drive room, keep in mind that at the MOMENT
those mere "two slots" can hold a half-terabyte of drive space. Already
announced are forthcoming serial-ATA drives with larger capacities.

And with FW 400 and 800 plentiful on the machine, external drives
actually become more practical (if more expensive) than internal ones.

If that's you're biggest minus, I'd have to say Apple's really knocked
out a home run on this one.

_Chas_

Two studies in "Innovation":
28-Apr-03: Apple introduces revolutionary legal music service (300,000
downloads @ .99/ea on the first day), releases iTunes4 (by far the best
jukebox software in the world), updates Quicktime to encode AAC audio
(superior to MP3).

30-Apr-03: Microsoft's MSN division introduces the iLoo, a portable
toilet with internet access. A week later, they claim it was "a hoax"
they played on themselves. A day after that, they admit it was a real
product but it's now been killed (and that they lied when they called
it a "April Fool's joke"). This from the company that wants to bring
you "Trustworthy Computing."